2016 Waste Management Winter RallySprint
February 20, 2016
Press Notes #2 – Saturday morning
- Some more RallySprint information for those unfamiliar with the rules. RallySprint vehicles are classified into one of four categories:– RallySprint Two-Wheel Drive Under 2.5 Liters (R2U) – for front- or rear-wheel drive vehicles with adjusted engine capacity under 2.5 liters.–RallySprint Two-Wheel Drive Over 2.5 Liters (R2O) – for front- or rear-wheel drive vehicles with adjusted engine capacity of 2.5 liters or greater.
- RallySprint Four-Wheel Drive Under 2.5 Liters (R4U) – for all- or four-wheel drive vehicles with adjusted engine capacity under 2.5 liters.
- RallySprint Four-Wheel Drive Over 2.5 Liters (R4O) — for all- or four-wheel drive vehicles with adjusted engine capacity of 2.5 liters or greater.
- SCCA RallyCross chair Stephen Hyatt, whose board is in charge of RallySprint, is here at the event, and is heartened by the 22-car field for this first-ever RallySprint event. Hyatt that this year’s goal is to fine-tune the rules based on the results of the RallySprints around the country, and have the class grow even larger for next year and beyond. Regional and national championships – if everything goes well – are in the plans for the future.
- Last year’s overall Waste Management Winter Rally winner, Jon Kramer, from Ligonier, Pennsylvania, is back this year in his Subaru Impreza, with co-driver Jason Smith, who was a driver in last year’s event, finishing second in Group 2.
- Phil Barnes, long-time co-driver from the Wellsboro area, will be driving again with local Italian restaurant owner Tony Esposito. This is Tony’s fourth appearance at the winter event, while Phil is the only competitor to have participated in all five events. Barnes figures this is his 24th STPR/Winter vent, a record that puts him in very elite company. As far as drivers and co-drivers go, while we have to check official records, Rod Hendrickson, Dean Fry, Jimmy Brandt, Jeff Becker have all frequented Wellsboro more often than not since the first national STPR rally in 1977.
- The start list shows some co-driver changes:
- Car #808 Amber Wetzel is the last-minute addition to co-drive with Rob Russo in the VW Jetta.
- Car #29 Keith Ligget is replacing Steve Keury as co-driver for Scott Beliveau in the VW RallyGolf.
- Car #944 Matt James is the co-driver for Charlie Tamaris in the Porsche 944.
- Car #11 Klim Fedoff has changed the car number on his Mitsubishi Evo to #945.
- Car #102 Dominik Jozman is replacing Otis Dimiters to co-drive for Arek Bialobrzeski in his Subaru Impreza.